As if a vegan banoffee pie is not extra enough, I went ahead and deconstructed it.
Actually, thats rubbish. I couldn’t get the coconut cream to whip thick enough so I had to use my imagination as we had guests and I left it way too late. Most of my favorite recipes were born from f-ups so this one will have to be added to the favourites list.
Its sticky, banana toffee goodness on a crunchy base paired with soft silky coconut cream to cool the tastebuds. Perfect if you want to unknowingly show off or just have something yummy and plant-based.
Ingredients FOR THE FILLING
- Add the filling ingredients to a food processor and blitz till completely broken down and sticky. Press this firmly into the base of a round cake tin. You can decide how thick you would like the base. If you feel you would like it thicker, just double up this recipe. Place the base in the freezer to set while you make the rest.
- Place the dates in the microwave for 30 seconds to make them soft then add to a food processor along with coconut milk and almond butter. Blitz this till completely smooth and golden brown. Pour this mixture over the set base and return to the freezer.
- When it’s almost about time to serve, remove the base form the freezer. Give it 10 minutes or so, you don’t want people breaking teeth.
- While you wait for it to soften, slice some bananas lengthways, sprinkle with cinnamon and fry them gently till golden brown.
- In a food processor, whip the chilled coconut cream and set aside.
- Cut the base into serving size, place on the plate and top with fried banana. Finish off with a generous dollop of whipped coconut cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Et voila!