This delicious dish is perfect for a simple yet tangy dish that will make you want to lick your plate! I love the combination of coconut and lime, um hello Thailand, and if you add prawns to anything I’m down.
When you cook risotto, one thing to remember is that you don’t want it to be too runny and saucy and you also don’t want it to be too stodgy and sticky. Risotto should be silky and soft! Its a high maintenance rice but so worth it if you give it the right amount of TLC.
You need to make sure you keep your eye on your risotto from the word go because it needs constant stirring to activate the starches and prevent it from burning. So when you are adding your liquid, do it little bit by little bit instead of drowning it and letting it cook. You could always try sing to it, I find this helps.
- 1 CUP ARBORIO RICE ( RISOTTO )
- 1 TIN COCONUT MILK
- 2 SACHETS FISH STOCK FROM WOOLWORTHS
- 3 TBSP FISH SAUCE
- 1 CUP WATER
- JUICE OF 2 FRESH LIMES
- 2 TSP CHOPPED GARLIC
- 1/2 AN ONION
- 2 CUPS PRAWN MEAT
- 2 TBSP BUTTER
- SPRINKLE OF CAYENNE PEPPER
- CHOP THE ONION FINELY AND PLACE INTO A DEEP PAN OR POT WITH 1TBSP BUTTER, FRY UNTIL GOLDEN
- ADD THE DRY RICE AND STIR TO COAT IT. ALOW THE RICE TO TOAST FOR 2 MINUTES OR SO
- MIX THE COCONUT MILK, STOCK, FISH SAUCE, LIME JUICE, PEPPER AND WATER INTO ONE JUG
- SLOWLY POUR SOME COCONUT STOCK INTO THE POT AND STIR THE RICE SLOWLY
- ONCE THE RICE HAS SOAKED UP MOST OF THE LIQUID ADD SOME MORE. REPEAT THIS UNTIL THE RICE IS SOFT.
- YOU CAN DO A TASTE TEST, IT SHOULD BE WELL COOKED BUT NOT STODGY OR STICKY. IF YOU RUN OUT OF STOCK AND STILL NEED TO COOK A BIUT MORE, JUST ADD A BIT MORE WATER
- FRY THE PRAWNS ON THE SIDE IN 1 TBSP BUTTER AND GARLIC UNTIL SOFT
- DISH THE RISOTTO AND TOP WITH PAN FRIEND PRAWNS AND A SQUEEZE OF FRESH LIME