I have never really been a huge fan of porridge, simply because when I eat it I feel like crawling off and curling up to sleep. It’s just way too heavy for me.
On a weekend away on the river with friends, we all chipped in and cooked meals for everyone and this dish was served up for brekkie. It was honestly just love at first bite. It’s rich and creamy but packed full of protein and doesn’t leave you feeling heavy or sluggish at all.
Quinoa was a firm favorite for the Inca’s in South America back in the day and is often referred to as the “mother of all grains”. It also happens to be a low GI, high fiber, gluten free, complete protein.
It also sounds kak fancy to say.
Please for the love of all things good and natural, do not pronounce it “kwinowa”. Its /ˈkiːnwɑː/. All together now… “Kiiiiiiiinwaaaaaaaaaa” Yaas!
The best part though, is that this breakfast tastes like a dessert. I’m so down for that!
- 1 CUP QUINOA
- 1 TIN COCONUT MILK
- 1 TBSP VIRGIN COCONUT OIL
- 1 CUP WATER
- 1 TBSP COCONUT SUGAR
- SPRINKLE CINNAMON
- SPRINKLE NUTMEG
- STEWED FRUITS
- COOKED BANANA & TOASTED PEACANS
- BLUEBERRIES AND SEEDS
- PEANUT BUTTER & COCONUT SUGAR
- STRAWBERRIES AND COCONUT CREAM
- DATES & BANANA
- POUR 1 TIN OF COCONUT MILK INTO A SMALL POT AND ADD THE QUINOA, WATER AND SPICES
- STIR THE QUINOA OCCASIONALLY AS IT COOKS
- IF THE MIXTURE BECOMES DRY BEFORE THE QUINOA IS COOKED, JUST ADD SOME MORE WATER
- QUINOA IS COOKED WHEN YOU CAN SEE THE GRAIN’S LITTLE “TAIL”, ALSO TRY A TASTE TEST.
- SERVE WITH A DRIZZLE OF COCONUT MILK AND TOPPINGS OF YOUR CHOICE!